Saturday, April 23, 2005

African Sleeping Sickness

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Over recent weeks I have spent dark days
Lethargically slumped
over my writing desk
I have been feeling dispirited and dull
My concentration has gone
and I am now prone
To frequent,
unpredictable mood changes

For days now I have felt indifferent
decidedly irritable and
if you so much as looks at me
I am likely to snarl viciously and
Aggressively demand to know
why, just because
I teach people how to write
Everyone expects me to be an accomplished writer

What could someone
With a banal daily life like mine
Possibly have to write
In verse or prose for that matter?
Of what consequence
Are my sporadic, deranged mutterings?
It has all been a façade, a masquerade
all done with smoke and mirrors

This proliferation, this sudden invasion of my organs
this debilitating infection of my brain has left me
suffering from a chronic, torpor
It is an effort even
to raise my pen
I am suffering from daytime insomnia
exhausted by periods of sleep-like unconsciousness
And fear I will slip into a deep coma
wither and die of sleeping sickness

Sleeping sickness?
First described in the fourteenth century
when Sultan Djata of the Kingdom of Melli
was stricken by a lethargy that killed him
Only methodical destruction
of the tsetse flies habitat
repelled the spread but now, centuries later
a fresh reservoir of blood lies unprotected

Only a vigilant mobile surveillance system
with specialized staff
using effective diagnostic tools and
improved field control strategies
Will repel this resurgence
control this vigorous strain of sleeping sickness
causing neurological impairment in
lonely writers and artists all over the world

4 Comments:

At 2:13 pm, Blogger Anita Marie Moscoso said...

Now that you've taken on the science...here's some psychology. There this affliction that was striking Filipino Men...young healthy men were suddenly dieing in their sleep from Heart Attacks. A rumor started that they died in their dreams and then...this was one of those stories I wasn't suppose to hear and I was young when I heard it so I may have it wrong.

But the idea all the same is a creepy one.

Anita Marie

 
At 3:08 pm, Blogger Fran said...

Thought provoking: Fran

 
At 8:18 pm, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

I grew up on wonderful jungle stories and tales like this one about the Filipino Men Anita Marie. Stories of Sleeping Sickness afflicting people captured my imagination way back then and I am not sure what has bought such memories back. Clearly those old Tarzan films infected my brain

 
At 5:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super work performed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home